Have you faced the fact that your house is in need of some serious organizing? If so, a great goal for 2016 would be to do a major overhaul on every room. Here are some ideas that might help you to do a thorough job.
Be Merciless - The first thing you need to do is to have a family meeting. Tell everybody that your goal is for every single nook and cranny to look organized. Tell them that when you ask where something is, you want them to know exactly where they have placed it. In other words, your mother's constant saying of "There's a place for everything and everything should be in its place" really works.
- Establish a place for items that will be given to charity. Tell your kids to be thoughtful of those who will be on the receiving end. For example, if a game is missing important parts, or if a puzzle is incomplete, those should just be dumped.
- Another stack will be for items that will later be placed in a yard sale. Give your kids a reason to get rid of excess things by telling them that they can keep the money from the sale of personal belongings.
- Give everybody a large plastic bag for garbage.
Buy Storage Receptacles - Have you ever looked at pictures in magazines that show how to organize your house? One thing those pictures usually have in common is that there is a storage solution for everything from board games to craft items.
- Transparent storage boxes are perfect for kid's toys and for shoes for the whole family. It's just nice to be able to glance at a box and to be able to tell what's in it before you pull it off a shelf.
- Attractive boxes and baskets are another good way to store your belongings. For example, pretty boxes can serve both as storage and as the decor of a room. Baskets are the ideal place to keep different yarns, knitting needles, and pattern books.
- Beautiful shelves are an excellent place to keep things like photograph albums, magazine collections and boxes of stationery.
After you have gone through your entire house in the process of organizing it, you may realize that you simply have too much stuff. If that is the case, rent a storage unit. Storage units are affordable and they are a safe place to keep your belongings. The unit will be thermostatically controlled and security will be provided. Some of the things you can place in your storage unit are off-season clothes, camping gear, sports equipment, and holiday decorations. When you need something from your storage unit, you'll be able to access it yourself. If you have more questions, talk to various storage facilities in your area, such as Stevens Creek Storage.
Choose a day every month where you make an assessment of how well your organization project is being maintained. If things are getting out of hand again, it's time for another work day.